The RUFORUM Vision 2030 envisions vibrant, transformative universities catalyzing sustainable, inclusive agricultural development to feed and create prosperity for Africa.
RUFORUM’s mission is to strengthen the capacities of universities to foster innovations responsive to demands of small-holder farmers through the training of high quality researchers, the output of impact-oriented research and the maintenance of collaborative working relations among researchers, farmers, national agricultural research institutions and governments.
Our Strategic Objectives
- Building synergy from networks of specialization to develop quality human resources and capacity required to intensify and increase Africa’s agricultural productivity and competitiveness.
- Ensuring the products, processes and knowledge developed through university research directly respond to and are used by value chain actors in the agri-food system to catalyse transformation; and,
- Marshalling resources and strategically allocating them to enable African universities to transform into viable institutional entities responsive to national aspirations and conditions through intensive knowledge-sharing and collective action.
Our Strategic Thrusts
RUFORUM has seven goals to achieve:
- Train a critical mass of Masters and PhD graduates, who are responsive to stakeholder needs and national/regional development goals;
- Develop collaborative research and training facilities that achieve economies of scope and scale;
- Catalyze Technical and Vocational skills development and enhance TVET-University integration;
- Increase the participation and voice of women in agricultural research, production and marketing;
- Improve the adaptive capacities of universities to produce high quality and innovative training, research and outreach activities that can contribute to policy and development practice;
- Increase the use of technology to support effective, decentralized learning and the sharing of knowledge;
- Mainstream new approaches within university teaching and research that emphasizes quality, innovation, and impact across the agricultural sector’s full value chain; and,
- Create a dynamic regional platform for policy advocacy, coordination, and resource mobilization for improved training, research and outreach by universities.